Monday, February 9, 2009

Necessities versus Luxuries

More often than not, we will confuse between what we need and what we want. Certain aspects are just too difficult to be categorized as a necessity or a luxury.

Basically, we need certain things to make sure that we survive and we want something to make our life easier and more comfortable. Different people need different things. A need might be a luxury for certain people.

As for me, when that something is affecting my life, be it physically or emotionally, it is a necessity. If that something crippled me from having a happy period, I would say that is a necessity that I must own. If that something disturbed me emotionally, which made me keep thinking of having it, I would say that is a necessity as well.

Indeed, this perspective of whether a particular thing is a necessity or a luxury really differs from individuals. So, the above opinion is just for reference and sharing. :-)

2 comments:

Walt said...

Shall we revisit the basic idea or the real, underlying principles behind what make a necessity a necessity and what makes a luxury, luxurious? I guess I have given you sufficient personal interpretation on both terms.. And a necessity is no longer one when it is actually our wants and surely, it has an impact, be it small or big on our life..

Robin Wong said...

personally, i regard happiness as a basic need in my life. therefore, if something disturbed my happiness, for sure, i will regard that something as my need. =)